- What are your main responsibilities at Sumitomo?
- I’m a lawyer based in Sumitomo Australia’s Sydney office. I provide legal support to the various business departments in Sumitomo’s 4 offices across Australia and New Zealand including providing legal advice and drafting contracts for the various business departments.
Sumitomo Australia is engaged in numerous investment businesses jointly with Sumitomo Corporation head office in Tokyo and also operates a diversified trading business for commodities such as steel and agricultural products. To support our various ventures, I communicate daily with department managers and other lawyers in Sumitomo’s Australian offices as well as Sumitomo Corporation Tokyo.
I was lucky enough to get tickets to the last day of a Sumo tournament at the Ryogoku Kokugikan when I visited Tokyo in 2009.
- What is the most impressive or surprising thing about working at Sumitomo?
- It would have to be my colleagues’ diligent and earnest attitude toward work. In addition to knowledge related to their specific areas of business, Sumitomo employees strive to also have an understanding of the other components of a business transaction, including the accounting and legal aspects. Working with these enthusiastic, forward-looking and trusted business professionals encourages me to take greater pride in my job and work harder to improve my performance.
I’m a fan of all sports, especially motor racing.
- What are your future plans?
- Sumitomo Corporation always encourages and supports the development of its employees. I hope to continue working with my colleagues at Sumitomo Corporation to help the company grow, while stepping up my efforts to learn more and broaden my view in the course of my job.
Moving forward, I’d like to work with more business teams at Sumitomo Australia and expand my work to support major mine development projects, particularly for coal, which is a key resource produced abundantly in our country.
Sydney’s Bondi Beach in 2011.
- What about Australia is particularly attractive?
- With its fast growing energy and resources sector, Australia has been attracting an abundance of foreign investment by global companies, including Sumitomo Corporation.
Australia is also a great place to visit for a holiday. With its warm weather and beautiful beaches during the summer months, I would recommend visiting between December and February.