- What are your main responsibilities at Sumitomo?
- In the general affairs section, I am primarily responsible for administrative and clerical support for Japanese staff, including obtaining work permits or visas , to help them work smoothly in Vietnam. Another important job is translation of Japanese documents, mainly sent from the Head Office in Tokyo, into Vietnamese, and vice versa. I am also involved in social contribution programs that Sumitomo Corporation provides to develop future leaders in Vietnam, including establishing scholarship and sponsoring lecture programs held at National Economics University and Foreign Trade University in Hanoi. Specifically, I am in charge of back-office work for these projects.
A Sumitomo Corporation Scholarship award ceremony is held at Foreign Trade University in Hanoi.
- What is interesting or rewarding about your job?
- Using Japanese is a basic part of my day-to-day work, and sometimes it becomes really difficult to accurately understand Japanese business words and industry terms. However, when I have worked out the meaning of these terms, often following hours of toil, I feel greatly exalted with a sense of achievement. Also, my job provides me with plenty of opportunities to learn about Japan, in particular Japanese values and the working style. It is interesting and I enjoy this very much.
Photo, including my daughter (right), taken at a company year end party
- How did you come to join Sumitomo?
- Upon graduation from university in 2003, I was employed by a Japanese company based in the Thang Long Industrial Park in Hanoi. The head of the company was transferred from Sumitomo Corporation. He talked to me about the company, and I gradually became interested.
Photo of my co-workers, taken during a company trip to Da Nang
- Tell us something about your future plans.
- Sumitomo is not yet generally known to Vietnamese people. I intend to work on raising awareness of Sumitomo and its business widely in Vietnamese society, mainly by promoting CSR activities. To this end, I will get training on public relations to be able to organize effective publicity activities for Sumitomo Corporation Vietnam.