Utilization of Human Resources -Work-Life Management Policy-
Work-Life Management Policy
Respecting diverse values and lifestyles to help employees realize fulfilling personal lives as a driving force for greater business development
Creating more flexible and supportive work environments
Sumitomo Corporation launched a company-wide Work-Life Balance (WLB) Promotion Project Team in April 2005 and has developed and implemented various specific measures in support of these efforts.In December 2015, We changed the name of the policy from "Work-Life Balance" to "Work-Life Management(WLM)" to promote lively and flexible work arrangements and let the employees think about their management of work and private life on their own initiative in both short and long term span. Although the form of WLM differs depending on the value and lifestyle of each employee, it is our belief that fulfillment of various aspects in their overall lives, both private and professional, will generate energy and function as a driving force for creating new value. We offer various optional programs to support employees in eliminating problems that may hinder their WLM.
We are promoting various WLM measures, which attach great importance to diverse values and lifestyles, with a view to helping employees realize fulfilling personal lives as a driving force for greater business development. Through creating a supportive work environment in which employees can work enthusiastically, we help them in their endeavor to "achieve prosperity and realize dreams."
The company-wide "WLM Promotion Project Team" plays a central role, with the Company and employees continuously cooperating to deliberate on, develop and promote work-life measures and policies.
- (1) Creating more flexible and supportive work environments
- We create more flexible and supportive work environments by helping employees eliminate problems and concerns so that they can engage in their work actively and comfortably.
- Creation of leisure / Changing to a sustainable working style
(Reduction of overtime / Promotion of paid leave utilization / Others)
- Support for employees with specific matters
(Consideration of flexible work practices / Improvement of child-care and family-care leave systems / Others)
- (2) Awareness-raising
- We promote awareness-raising activities (educational activities) through communication, training programs and the like in order for employees to become more aware of WLM and adopt this concept in their daily lives.
Sumitomo Corporation was granted "Platinum Kurumin" certification by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) of Japan as a company that provides superior childcare support.
Sumitomo Corporation was granted "Platinum Kurumin" certification in June 2015 by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) in recognition of providing superior childcare support among the "Kurumin" certified companies.
Sumitomo Corporation has obtained "Kurumin" certification continuously from 2008. This certification is awarded to a company that is recognized by the MHLW when its planning, implementation and performance of supportive measures for parenting employees meet certain requirements as prescribed by the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children.
Sumitomo Corporation will continue to respect the diverse lifestyles of its employees and carry on with efforts to support individual success.
Sumitomo Corporation Becomes a Supporter of the "Ikumen Project" launched by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare
The "Ikumen Project" is an initiative launched by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare to raise public awareness so that working men will actively participate in child rearing and make use of child-care leave.
- [Sumitomo's Declaration as an Ikumen Supporter]
- Sumitomo Corporation believes that enrichment of every aspect of the life of each employee, including working life, will give rise to new vitality and lead to the creation of new value. We have only a limited period in our lives in which we can be involved in parenting. We can also learn much from raising children, both as parents and as human beings. Sumitomo Corporation supports its "ikumen" employees, who give their all in both their work and family life, seeking their own continuous growth and development.
Participation of Sumitomo Corporation as One of the Ten Model Companies of "The Work-Life Management Promotion Project" implemented by the MHLW of Japan
Sumitomo Corporation participated in "The Work-Life Management Promotion Project" implemented by the MHLW from April 2008 to March 2010 as one of the ten Model Companies.
Steps in the WLM Project to Date
- 2005 MarA WLB measures in human resources management presented to the Management Council.
- AprCompany-wide WLB Promotion Project Team established.
- JulBegan to solve over-time work related issues with top management leadership
(Prohibited late-night work/Reduced over-time work)
- AugWLB Policy formulated.
(Defining the WLB initiatives that contribute to our mission of "achieving prosperity and realizing dreams" as stated in the Management Principles.)
- 2006 JunWLB booklet published and copies distributed to all employees.
- JulCEO incorporates the message of "paid leave utilization and reduction of overtime for sustainable corporate growth."
- 2007 Apr"Four Focuses in Quality Improvement: quality improvement in human resources and working styles" announced in the medium-term management plan (GG Plan); putting WLB in perspective.
- 2008 AprParticipation in "The Work-Life Balance Promotion Project" implemented by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (Japan).
- 2009 Apr"Development of human and organizational dynamism to enhance value-creation capability" announced in the medium-term management plan (FOCUS '10)
- 2010 MayWLB Promotion Pamphlet published and copies distributed to all employees.
- 2013 DecDistributed a message to promote a work-style in which work and private life are clearly separated by showing the direction for future time management.
- 2014 DecDistributed "A Handbook on How to Balance Work and Nursing Care," and "A Handbook on How to Balance Work and Childcare" to all employees.
Established a support system for those working overseas accompanied by children only.
- 2015 DecChanged the name of the policy from "Work-Life Balance" to "Work-Life Management"
The Work-Life Balance Promotion Pamphlet distributed to all employees